“Baby” would be the Scout leader’s new daughter, not me! Though playing with some bright fabrics this week has lifted my spirits, so maybe I needed brights too. There isn’t any big reason for the blahs I needed lifting out of, just assorted small annoyances and winter in general. Oh, and shattering the plastic casing on the car’s tail light and finding out you can’t replace just the casing, you have to buy the whole assembly. Sigh.
Let’s not dwell on that, shall we? Back to the cheerful brights. Here’s what I have on my design wall right now.
The owl is only fused on right now. I need to go buy purple thread to stitch it down. Still, I wanted to see if he worked with the blocks the way I hoped he would, so up on the wall he went. I like it!
I didn’t like what I started out with. I saw this quilt by SewCraftyJess on Moda Bake Shop and liked the blocks. I made a test block to be sure I liked it before cutting into my stash.
It took only an hour to get all my cut pieces sewn into units. The large squares with the white strip get cut down the middle to make the rectangular units below in the lower left, so I was able to substitute two rectangles for the square when my scraps wouldn’t yield the 5” square the pattern called for.
Clearly, it’s not a good idea to be too excited about quick progress. Progress slowed down to a crawl when I started putting pieces up on the design wall to decide which fabrics to put together in each block.
Ummmm. Nope. This wasn’t working for me! I stared at the wall. I moved things around. I stared some more. Two hours’ worth of staring and shuffling pieces around yielded this.
Better. Did I really need to unpick my sample block to match the block center to the block frame? Maybe not. I went to bed and let it simmer a bit.
When I came back to it in the morning I decided that in the grand scheme of things, taking a few minutes to rip a few seams was not a big deal. The result was good enough to encourage me to assemble all the blocks. Of course, assembled blocks were bound to look crisper and therefore better! Once I had them assembled it was easier to play around with block orientation, too. I decided I liked them better going in all one direction, instead of the varied directions in the original pattern, and that vertical pleased my eye more than horizontal.
I had intended to piece a butterfly block to insert in the blank place. I found a good tutorial at Four Wise Monkeys for a pretty pieced block, but in the end I decided it wouldn’t pop. Then I thought I could do a reverse image, with a white butterfly over a colored block background. I tried it in EQ first, and it wasn’t looking quite as I hoped. How about a heart? I looked at pieced heart patterns, then decided I could applique a heart, since I learned to do that over Christmas.
Well, if I’m going to applique…I just had to make the owl from Five Sprouts Stitching again, because he’s so gosh darned cute. It’s a baby quilt. Cute is good!
I enlarged the pattern to fit the space and spent an hour dithering over what colors he should be. I decided purple would work best and held my breath as I rooted through the small pile of purples in my stash, hoping to find a piece large enough for the owl’s body. Success!
I’m pleased with how it is working out! The owl seems less lost in person, trust me. Now I need to go add sashing and decide if this quilt needs borders. I suppose I need to choose backing fabric too. Time to step away from the computer!