I finished all 36 blue drunkard’s path blocks. I started getting the hang of them again near the end of the stack. Now I need to figure out what to do with them.
My original intention was to remake Autumn moons as Winter Moons. This plan is what got me started on the whole snowflake adventure last fall, though the snowflake adventure took on a life of its own totally separate from this. I thought I could change the color scheme and replace the leaf blocks with different blocks for different seasons. Here’s a look at that on the wall.
Hmm. This isn’t soaring. The snowflakes definitely would need to be larger. Maybe Snowflake 3, version 2 would have more “oomph” . Also, I think the color values aren’t quite right. I think my lights are all too similar, or I need more medium/lights mixed in. Yes, the colors values will definitely need tweaking if I pursue this any further. Of course borders would help, but I don’t like this enough at this point to spend too much time piecing border units. Maybe I’ll come back to it.
After that ho-hum reaction to what I threw on the wall, I scrambled up the units and came up with a few different layouts unrelated to snowflakes.
Of the three, I think the first has the most potential, though the others might work if I made a few more units to be able to fine tune value placement a bit more. Still, It’s missing something though I’m not sure what, so I am going to put all these units in a box for now. Maybe I need to let go of symmetry. Maybe I’ll end up tossing in another color. We’ll see what happens after everything simmers for a little while.
As an antidote to all this indecision, I am going to go sew with some yellow, grey and black fabrics, putting together a very straightforward quilt that I have all planned out. I sure hope this one cooperates and works out as well in fabric as in my head! At least the first block did (unless you’re not a fan of yellow). The block is 20” square so it will work up to a nice sized quilt very quickly.