Look who came home from the animal shelter with us today.
Meet Rosie. She is a 3 year old maltese/papillon mix. She is a little bundle of energy and despite her small size will be a good running buddy for the kids. It remains to be seen whether she will be a good quilting buddy, as she only came home today and hasn’t had time to settle in yet. Right now she’s a bit restless and whines to go out, then in, them out, then in…
We’ll get the hang of each other, then we’ll see if she’s a quilter dog or not! One thing is certain. Quilts will get washed rather more frequently now, as Rosie sheds a lot! We had firm intentions to get a non-shedding or at least low-shedding dog, but just look at her! And she has a very sweet, trusting disposition too. The only thing that would have made us leave her behind was allergies, but hubby played with her and was fine so she came home!
On to quilty things…
When I washed my Geese Across the Table placemats they shrank all wonky. I probably should have quilted them more evenly or prewashed the fabrics, or both. In any case, after the shrinkage I needed a new set to use as a sample. I hadn’t had a good dose of working with blues in a while so that’s what I pulled for the new samples.
Because of the previous shrinking fiasco, I made a point of washing these fabrics first. In hindsight, since they are all batiks, they probably had no shrinking left to do. I’m still glad they had a spin in the washer though. I tossed in TWO Color Catcher sheets and this is how they looked afterwards:
For anyone that doesn’t know, Color Catcher sheets start out white. I’m keeping these on my bulletin board as a reminder of why I should prewash! I didn’t prewash for years, but I’m becoming a convert.
Now I’m off to sew a bit, if I can decide what project to work on. I have some blue drunkard’s path blocks in progress, but as much as I loved the fabrics together before I cut them, I’m not so sure I like them in this block.
This is just a random layout, not what they are intended for. I’m not sure my initial plan is going to work, so it may morph after I have all 36 blocks made and I can play around a bit more.
I also have a few projects in the works that I can’t share quite yet. One is in yellows/blacks/greys. Another is in summer colors, and possibly repeated in fall or Christmas ones as well.
The drunkard’s paths’ curves are a bit more fiddly than I remembered from the last time I made some. One of the un-shared projects is very straightforward while another has lots of points to match, so I have plenty of choice. There’s also still some hand quilting to do on the kaleidoscope quilt. I just have to decide what colors and/or challenge level I want to play with today.
Or I could go play with the dog!