Showing posts from April, 2020

Inventory quilt top nearing the finish line

I had a few moments of doubt about the stars for my Sparkling Inventory.  I pulled out various creams and golds, thinking I could inventory those in the stars, but they really didn't pop on the scrappy blue background.  I didn't take a picture, and those fabrics are are all tucked away in their bin again, so you'll have to take my word for it.

White popped on the blue, but I never built up my collection of white on white fabrics after I decimated it to make Milky Way.  The same white in all the triangles was very bland.  Ah ha!  How about that white Quiter's Linen "Blanc" by Robert Kaufman, the white with silver metallic texture?  That's not plain, and maybe the silver bits would add interest.  Never mind that what I had available was specifically earmarked for something else.  :)

Yes, I think that worked.

I liked the way that looked in the stars, but 10 of the same stars all in a row lacked spark, so I cast about for a second star fabric.  I found this …

Sparkling Inventory progress

The bright blue inventory is progressing.  After selecting all the brightest blue fabrics in my stash (49 different ones, if you're interested) I was pleased to find that I could arrange them in more or less gradated order on either side of the star path.  I then cut each down to size according to where it would end up in the pattern.

The background is made up of strips.  As written, the pattern calls for some strips to be twice as wide as the rest.  To include a larger selection of fabrics, I made the wider strips from two different fabrics, sewing two narrower strips together to make up the wider width.

This particular version of Sparkling Trail is a scaled down one using 2 1/2" and 4 1/2" strips. If I had made the original throw size as described in the pattern I could have used 4 1/2" strips for the narrow strips, and sewn two of those together for the wider 8 1/2"strips.  I also could have used jelly roll strips (2 1/2" wide) to build up the 4 1/2&qu…

Inventory project fabric pull

While I was still working out what direction to take for my inventory quilt, I sorted through my stack of quilts for a trunk show.  With Inventory Quilts on the brain, this one particularly caught my eye.

Milky Way has samples of most of the bright blues I had in my scrap bins in 2018.  You can see in the progress picture below that the background is also scrappy, using up most of the white on white fabrics I owned. 

I suppose it is actually a record of my past inventory of white on white, because I have none of those left after making this quilt.
Milky Way is also an example of mixing up the color placement from what is suggested in the pattern.  It uses all the cutting numbers and sizes, and the assembly instructions from my pattern Magnitudes, but throws all the color into the stars instead of in the block backgrounds, and matches the sashing to the block background to make it disappear.
How does this relate to my inventory project?  I decided to flip the color placement.  Where th…

Where did all the grey come from?

I wondered if I had enough light and medium neutral scraps to make a throw with my three sunflower blocks.  You should have seen the look on my daughter's face.  She looked at my stash shelf, then looked at me and laughed.

She was right.  I had plenty.  In my defense, I wasn't sure how much variety I had in that bin.  Still, as you see, I made it work.  The grey bin now contains a reduced variety of fabrics, and is comfortably full rather than bursting at the seams, but there are still plenty of grey bits and pieces to pull for some other project.

Where did all that grey come from??!!  I'm a brights gal!  This quilt has to be the most neutral, low-volume quilt I've ever made, and even that had those pops of yellow to brighten it up. I just had a look through my quilt pictures to see if I could figure it out. 

Since 2001, I have finished 74 quilts plus assorted table runners and place mats. Four of those quilts have grey backing.  Trimming the backing after quilting yie…

Sparkling Inventory

I'm a Featured Designer this month for the Just Wanna Quilt Inventory Quilt Project. I sent them a few copies of Sparkling Trail to play with back in January.  Besides wanting an excuse to make another Sparkling Trail, I thought the design would be a good one for an Inventory Quilt because it has a lot of patches.  That leaves room for a lot of different fabrics, which is perfect for taking stock of an extensive stash curated fabric collection.  120 triangles give plenty of opportunities to showcase individual fabrics.

This version was a pretty good snapshot of my red stash in 2014 when I made it.

There are not 120 different fabrics in that quilt, as I used some more than once, but you certainly could use 120 different fabrics if you had that many.

You could even use more that 120 by piecing several fabrics together and cutting the triangles out of that pieced swatch.  The original Sparkling Trail was actually Sparkling Strings.

Oops, it's upside down!  Just the same, you see …