Posts

Showing posts from May, 2013

Back to the garden

Image
The weather has finally turned balmy enough to make it pleasant to move on from the planning to the doing phase in the garden.  Last weekend we divided and moved several clumps of daisies and black eyed susans.  Ornamental grasses will soon join them in a new flowerbed my husband dug me for mother’s day.  I’ll wait to share pictures until things fill in a bit.  A couple of the black eyed susan clumps are looking very sad and wilted but I keep telling myself they will eventually settle in and perk up.  I hope.In the meantime, I’m enjoying looking out at my new tipsy pots in the back garden.  My daughter helped paint the pots, stack them and plant them.  We’re quite happy with the result and we’re looking forward to what they’ll look like once the plants get larger.Now if I could just figure out what to do about the front yard…

Step away from the piecing…

Image
Why is it that when I have carefully measured everything, and measured each unit at each step along the way to make sure everything is still on track, that is when the final result isn’t the size it should be?  There must be quilting gremlins kicking around here somewhere.After gnashing my teeth at finding that my carefully paper pieced border (I didn’t have enough fabric to change tack after all) was 3/4” too long on all sides, and checking my math again and again and again, I took in several seams just a smidge until all the smidges ate up the extra length.  I couldn’t just cut off the extra because I needed the pattern to match at the end to turn around the corners.  I then added an outer border to stabilize the bias edges on that pieced border and ta-da!I’m waffling about the width of that last green border.  I may make it about a 1/2” narrower, but this is where it stands now.  I also wonder if I should have used a different scale for the pieced border, but I’m not changing it no…

Grrrr!!! Error…

Image
Grrr!!!  Despite all my proofreading, an error slipped into the pattern for my String of Diamonds placemats.  Anyone who downloaded the pattern from Craftsy after I moved my patterns over there should have received an email from Craftsy about the pattern update in late March.
I made the change in March but forgot about downloads which may have occurred directly from this blog before I made the switch. So, if you downloaded directly from the blog, grab a pen, scratch out 3-7/8” and replace it with 3-3/8” for the size of the square A.  Or you can download the corrected version for free here.

If you ever have a question or concern about my patterns, please let me know.  My email is in my blogger profile.  Thanks!

Decisions, decisions

Image
For the pieced border I am planning for the HST quilt I need 76 units.  Of course I drew it out and chose it before giving any thought to how I would construct it.  It took a bit of thought, but I finally decided that paper piecing it was the way to go.After figuring out how much fabric it would take and checking that I had enough of each colour, I cut out fabric and started piecing units.I made all of 8 units before my husband commented that the units look great but that paper piecing seems like an awful lot of work.  He was right, which made me start thinking again about the best way to make these.  This morning I pulled out some scrap strips and tried something else.This is two strip sets, sewn together right sides together along both long sides to make a tube. Cut a triangle with the base along one seam line making sure the tip doesn’t include the other seam line.  Open up the triangle and ta-da!This is a lot faster than paper piecing!  I’ll have to be a little more careful not to…

Repeat performance, new pattern

Image
Back in June 2011 I worked on a set of placemats and a matching runner.  I gave it away and never posted a photo of the finished set.  Recently I came across a photo of the set in use after I gifted it and I decided I needed one for myself.  I used the photo to write myself a pattern to make it again

Here’s the original:




Here is the new set, Geese Around the Table. 
I thought I remembered piecing units in a certain order the first time around and wrote my instructions to myself that way. When I actually got to sewing I realized that there would be an awful lot of pesky bulky seams where I couldn’t make seams nest.  I don’t remember that from before.  After a bit more thought I ripped some seams and came at it a different way and eliminated most of the bulk so things lie flat.  I think that’s a good thing in a placemat!  You just don’t want a bulky bit to make your glass full of your beverage of choice a bit tippy.

I have no idea how I quilted this the first time around, but in this i…