Back in June 2011 I worked on a set of placemats and a matching runner. I gave it away and never posted a photo of the finished set. Recently I came across a photo of the set in use after I gifted it and I decided I needed one for myself. I used the photo to write myself a pattern to make it again
Here’s the original:
Here is the new set, Geese Around the Table.
I thought I remembered piecing units in a certain order the first time around and wrote my instructions to myself that way. When I actually got to sewing I realized that there would be an awful lot of pesky bulky seams where I couldn’t make seams nest. I don’t remember that from before. After a bit more thought I ripped some seams and came at it a different way and eliminated most of the bulk so things lie flat. I think that’s a good thing in a placemat! You just don’t want a bulky bit to make your glass full of your beverage of choice a bit tippy.
I have no idea how I quilted this the first time around, but in this incarnation it’s all quilted in the ditch. I did machine sew the binding on, which I hade never done before. The thought of hand stitching almost 500 inches of binding just left me cold. I don’t mind hand stitching a few hundred inches of binding on a cozy quilt, but it somehow it seemed like a lot of trouble for a set of placemats. I sewed the binding to the front as usual, then folded it around to the back far enough that it would be caught by the needle when I stitched in the ditch along the binding on the front.
Having in effect tested this pattern and fine tuned it I decided to list it for sale (click on the Pattern Shop" tab under my blog banner to go to my shop). Pattern downloads of my 3 free patterns on Craftsy have been brisk, and some quilters out there have also bought my Wandering Geese pattern. I’m encouraged to keep honing my pattern writing skills!
After I posted pictures the spring blooms quilt I made last spring, I received a lot of requests for a block tutorial. It's been slow c...
You may have seen Temperature Quilt projects popping up on blogs and social media feeds over the last few years. The idea is to represent t...
There was very little happening in the sewing room recently. I started experiencing sewing withdrawal and needed some fun sewing this week....