Posts

Showing posts from June, 2017

Canada Day is coming up fast

Image
There are only 6 days left before Canada Day on July 1st!  My plan was to get my sesquicentennial quilt finished by then.  Guess what I have been focusing on this week? I am making progress, but I predict some late night hand sewing to get the binding stitched down on Friday night!

Here's what I have done so far.



I stitched in the ditch around the large leaf, the sides of the leaf strips, and the border. Next I quilted concentric circles in the background.  If you're curious about how I kept the circle consistent where it ducks under the leaf and where it pops up again, I used the same technique as when I quilted my red and green Sparkling Trail.  I described my method in a post here.

Next I quilted "150" and "1867-2017" in the large leaf. I printed the text out in the font and size I wanted, traced it onto tissue paper, pinned the paper to the quilt, quilted the outline through the paper then tore away the paper.






I'm still not sure about this.  It didn…

Quilt backs

Image
When customers come into the shop and ask me how much fabric they need for their quilt back, my first question is whether the dimensions they are giving me are the size of the quilt top or the desired size of the top.  Usually it's the top and I ask how much extra they or their longarm quilter likes to add to each side on the back.  I do my math from there. Did I do this for my own quilt?  Of course not! Grumble.



I can't believe I used the quilt top dimensions and forgot to add extra.  That's why I was slow getting the bird quilt quilted.  I was put out with myself and the quilt, as though it was the quilt's fault!  However, it's also why I have this pretty pieced back, which a friend thought I had planned on purpose as an added element.  I should have let her think so!

I really like the way it turned out and it started me thinking about other quilts I have made that ended up with pieced backs.  There are not many and all but one got their extra decorative touch be…

Butterfly garden

Image
May was busy with multiple end of year concerts for both kids (choir, band, band and choir combined, another choir performance...), high school graduation party and actual graduation ceremony on different weekends, a lovely visit with my parents, and trying to get the garden into shape for summer after a very wet and cold spring.  It didn't leave much time and dare I say it, energy, for quilting.  
I eased myself back into the sewing room on a rainy day last weekend by catching up on my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks. The green one for May was not made in May, but it's done!

In the middle of the week I tackled a quilt backing that should have been quick to make but wasn't. and I'll write about that whole debacle another time. Today I made the yellow one for June and the creative juices are starting to flow again.  Yay!

Thanks to Sandra of mmm!quilts for the inspiration for the photo shoot.  I was feeling rather blah about my blocks shot on the design wall when I sa…