Posts

Showing posts from June, 2013

Reaching an agreement

Image
This week I finally stopped moaning and groaning about the unquilted quilt tops.  Can you believe they just were not responding, not basting and quilting themselves?  I gave in, basted my blue Kyoto Gardens and started quilting.Let’s not count up how many hours I’ve spent so far.  I have quilted in the ditch along the long border seams (but not the designs I’ll be adding in the borders) and some straight lines in the ditch in the sashing.  I still have to stitch in the ditch along the inside white parts of the sashing.  This was all done with my trusty walking foot.At about 10:30 pm  I decided I needed a bit of encouragement to keep going.  Stitch in the ditch is pretty well hidden and I wanted to see some designs so I switched to the free-motion foot to work on a block.  This is when my freemotion presser foot and I reached an agreement.  It is happy to assist me with curved lines.  It will stretch to accommodate stitching in the ditch in matching thread, where wobbles are camouflage…

It’s been how long?

Image
I’ve been meaning to sit down and sew for a while now but somehow didn’t until tonight.  When I flicked the switch on the machine and it didn’t turn on, I noticed that it was unplugged.  Gasp!  Is that legal?  That is when I realized I have not sewn since I brought the machine back downstairs after quilting Love’s quilt upstairs on the kitchen table.  That was a month ago.  No wonder I was starting to feel a little out of sorts!Here’s tonight’s dose of medicine.  I visited a new-to-me quilt shop with my friend Nettie last week and came home with these fabrics. I wondered how my Jelly Bean Stars quilt would look in a completely different style of fabric.  I figured 1800’s reproduction prints would be just about as opposite as I could get to the bright colours I used originally.I think I like it.  I had planned to make just one test block so I could include a picture in the pattern I’m writing up to show how it could work in other fabrics.  Now I’m contemplating heading out to the local…

Look what I found…

Image
Leftovers from the very first quilt I made, started in 2000 and finished in Dec 2002!  I had no idea I had any remnants of that project lurking anywhere.  I found them when I dug though a chest of miscellaneous, seldom used craft things in search of something else.  I forget what it was I was looking for, except for the fact that I didn’t find whatever it was.  I was just tickled to find these though!  Along with the 4 paper pieced units I found a small amount of leftover fabrics, paper foundations and two tidy envelopes of fabric all cut and stacked in the correct order to make a few more blocks.  The paper foundations were traced by hand on tissue paper.  Half are numbered in my handwriting, and half are in my husband’s writing.  He was supportive of this quilting bug early on.  I’m sure he didn’t realize at the time how badly I’d been bitten!This was the quilt, made as wedding gift and delivered 1 1/2 years late.  It took longer than I expected to quilt…as all my quilts do, even no…