Showing posts from January, 2012

Basting geese

No, I’m not roasting a few geese.  I have however basted my Wandering Geese quilt.  Basting is still not my favourite part of making a quilt, but my new basting frame improved things.
I remembered reading about this but couldn’t remember where so I Googled “quilt basting frame” and came up with several references and some instructions.  I settled on the inexpensive option: four 8 foot long pieces of 1x2 lumber, 4 C-clamps and strips of inexpensive muslin.  I had to cut two of the pieces of lumber down to 7 feet so I could use this frame downstairs with the low ceilings. I wrapped the wood with the muslin, tacking the muslin down in a few spots with a staple gun.  I then used the C-clamps to clamp the pieces into a rectangular frame just a bit smaller than my quilt backing.  All the instructions said to balance the frame on 4 straight-backed chairs, but lacking those I balanced two ends on small tables of similar height.
After pinning the backing fabric to the muslin wrappings, pulling …

Whole lot of cutting

I spent both yesterday and today at a mini-retreat at the local quilt shop:  quilt all day, go home to sleep and come back to quilt all day again.  Though I brought my sewing machine I didn’t do much sewing.  I sewed a few units but I mostly cut, cut and cut some more. I discovered that the cutting table at the retreat is at a much nicer height for this task than my kitchen table.  Since there are 882 pieces in this new quilt I decided to use the better table while I could!

I managed to cut 596 pieces, and have 78 other pieces cut that need to be subcut into 156 kite-shaped things.  When I went back this morning I remembered to bring ziplock bags to sort all the pieces into before they ended up scattered all over the workroom.
There is still the matter of trimming points on most of the pieces.  I did try skipping this step but found it too difficult to figure out how to match up angled sides without the trimmed points.  The trimmed points match up beautifully with each other so despit…

Snipping threads

I have never worked with fabric that frayed as much as the fabric in my Wandering Geese quilt.  I’ve spent hours snipping fraying threads off the back, and I’m sure there will still be at least one stray one that will sneak onto the white bits and show through after I have everything quilted! 
I have no idea what this fabric is.  I bought it as fat quarter bundles and there wasn’t any identifying info on any of the selvedges.  I wasn’t thinking about fabric quality when I bought these.  I was just sucked in by the pretty colours.  I still like them.  I just wish they would stop fraying already!
I’m almost ready to baste and quilt the quilt.  Here’s the backing all ready to go.  All I have left to do is assemble 4 8-foot-long 1x2 pieces of lumber, muslin strips and 4 C-clamps into a basting frame and I can get to work.  I have never used a basting frame but I haven’t been happy with how I’ve basted the last few quilts.  The backing wasn’t as smooth as I would like.  I remembered readi…

One more border down

I finally decided what to do for a border on my flying geese quilt!
I had planned to piece a border of colour rectangles end to end but decided it wasn’t the look I wanted.  I then visited the local quilt shop with quilt in hand and came home with the perfect fabrics for a pair of plain borders. Of course those fabrics turned out to not be right either so in late October this quilt went into the UFO bin.
After finishing the top for Whimsy on New Year’s eve, border battles included, I was inspired to take another look at these borders as well and spent a couple of days auditioning fabric in various configurations.  It’s funny how I came almost full circle to my original idea, with a pieced border made up of all the quilt’s colours. I just placed them in a piano key pattern instead of end-to-end.

Enough chat.  Here’s the quilt, all my own pattern:
Hmmm,  I really think it looks better in person.  I suppose I could have waited for better lighting to snap the picture…
I considered putting …

A New Year’s Wish for Quilters

May your points always meet May your thread never break May your borders behave And may inspiration never desert you Thank you all for your friendship and encouragement!  I wish all of you joy and peace in 2012.

Just under the wire

Ta da!  Just under the wire as a 2011 finished quilt top, with 20 minutes to spare:
I`m not sure how long ago I started this one, but it was back in APQ blog days, so at least 2 years ago.  I think it was closer to 3 years.  It has gone in and out of the UFO bin several times, but this week I decided it needed to be done and here it is, after wrestling the borders into submission.  The quilt really doesn’t bow in the middle the way the picture makes it seems.  I`m not sure why all  my quilt pictures do that…  Anyway, Whimsy (pattern by Darlene Zimmerman) now moves to the finished flimsy pile to await quilting.  It’s next in line for hand quilting after I finish quilting the leaf quilt.