Posts

Showing posts from March, 2013

Now for the next one

Image
Kyoto Gardens has borders! I’m glad the first two corners went on smoothly or I might have relegated the quilt to the UFO bin again.  However, as I got those on without too much fuss I had more patience for the last two corners that required a bit of ripping and fussing, but eventually went on if not perfectly then “good enough”.  No Quilt Police in this house!  I has planned to machine quilt it right away. I have the backing and the batting and the thread and even thought ahead to what quilting designs I’ll try.  However, dealing with the weight of just the top or just the backing caused the tendonitis to twinge so I thought wrestling the whole thing while I quilt it might not be a good idea just yet.  It’s back in a box, but at the head of the queue to be quilted when I can get back to that. So, now I can dive into the next project.  This is a brand new one.  I have been letting the design stew for a while, tweaking it now and then until it finally felt right. I bought most of these…

Will they, won’t they?

Image
I have assembled and cut to size the inner borders for Kyoto Garden.  I spent an afternoon measuring the quilt, and the pieced outer borders, and checking the math. Theoretically the inner borders should fit just so, allowing the outer pieced squares on point to line up just so.Unfortunately the last minute measurements I made today don’t match the ones I made two days ago.  I’m not sure which ones are actually right.  Did I stretch things then or not smooth things out well today?  Grump. If my seam allowances were all absolutely perfect then this wouldn’t be an issue, but unlike some people who claim they can always cut the borders to the pattern’s mathematically correct dimensions because they always sew perfect seams, I know I have variations.  Just a thread or two multiplied across several seams can add up!  I try, but there’s usually some variation in those seams!So will my borders fit or won’t they?  Can you tell I’m procrastinating finding out?

Inching towards a finish

Image
Looking back through old blogs, I found that I started my blue Kyoto Gardens quilt over a year ago,  on January 20th, 2012.   That is by no means the longest time one of my quilts has been in progress, but I have decided it is time for it to be done.  All it needs now are borders.Here is the quilt as Judy Martin designed it.  I made my center smaller, only 3x4 blocks, like the twin size option in the pattern, and I like how it turned out.  The pieced border doesn’t suit my style though, so I have been thinking about alternativesI finally settled on a border of squares on point and realized I could just replace the pieced units in the pattern’s border with plain squares and not have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.  The inner border, square and setting triangles measurements are already in the pattern.Sunday I spent a few hours cutting blue squares and white/cream setting triangles. I put the squares up on the design wall around the quilt center and decided they just didn’t suit the…

Background fillers

Image
This week I spent time practicing free-motion quilting.  I had never tried background fillers but my lone star runner seemed a good place to practice.When I practiced a few designs a few weeks ago, I thought they were too dense compared to the light quilting I planned to do in the stars but I really liked the swirls (“concentric circles” from the book Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters). I finally decided to try them on the runner anyway and just quilt more than I had planned in the stars.I liked the way that turned out, but I thought a whole runner covered in swirls might be too much swirl so I pored over the book again and settled on pebbles and wood grain for two more blocks.  I couldn’t get the wood grain design down to a suitable scale for the small space, so I simplified it a bit.  “River path” from Leah Day’s Free-motion Quilting Project filled another block, but I didn’t find anything else I liked that would fit the scale and go well with the other designs I had already …