252 units on the wall
Wednesday and Thursday I sewed and sliced, tore away paper and snipped dog ears. Once that was done I could play. This is nice example of why designing with quilt design software will always be just a starting point for me. It’s great to try out a lot of ideas but at some point I have to see the design in actual size for the final tweaking.
The layout on the left seemed perfect to me when printed out on an 8 1/2”x11” piece of paper. Once the life sized fabric version was up on the wall, it just didn’t seem quite right. Almost there but not quite. I am much happier with the layout on the right.
All those units still need to be sewn together but now that I know what it will look like I feel much less obsessed about it! I’ll get around to it a bit at a time. I still have to ponder which directions to press the seams for optimal construction…
Out of curiosity, I also kept track of my time. From when I started cutting the fabric to when I completed the layout on the right, I’ve spent 13.5 hours on this quilt so far. Now I rather wish I had kept track with other quilts to see how they compare, time-wise. Geeky of me, I know!