My son’s bed quilt is wearing out. When he told me there were new tears, I asked him to mark them with safety pins so I could find them to mend them. I was taken aback at the number of pins. He said he stopped counting at 15. I looked the quilt over and added more. I think I stopped counting at 40. And I found more while I was fixing the marked ones. Sigh.
To be clear, he has loved and used but not abused his quilt. There were just a few questionable fabrics in there. Also, as I was advised not to prewash precuts (these were from a jelly roll), fabrics shrank at different rates. Batiks didn’t shrink at all, so they just folded over at the seams and those folds wore out and the fabric shredded. Some of the batiks were more affected than others.
I spent the afternoon stitching decorative stitches over the shredded bits to try to extend the quilt’s life a little more. Here’s what the back looks like now. Those aren’t worms, but lines of stitching.
That’s a lot of worn spots, and just a little push to start hand quilting a bit more diligently on the replacement quilt!
Here’s the progress on that:
I do have a tiny bit of border done on the left side too. I tried to take a picture of what I’m trying in the border, but the lighting wasn’t very good to take a picture of quilting in black thread on black fabric.
Enough chatting! I need to go make more progress!