|Pattern: Spark, by Maple Island Quilts|
The more I looked at the first project the more I thought it really wasn't Matt's style. When I was organizing patterns on the wall at the LQS where I work, Spark by Maple Island Quilts caught my eye. I knew Matt would like this better, and that the ISU fabric with the grey background would suit him better as well.
This was the quickest top finish I have ever had. It took me about 5 hours from starting to cut to finishing the top. Making the back took longer because I couldn't leave well enough alone. I made my daughter a quilt in her high school colors last winter. I pieced her name into that one, and decided I should do the same for Matt's college quilt. I was also determined to use up leftovers and the fabric I had bought to enlarge the previous Cyclone quilt, so I needed to sit down and design something. It morphed three times, but here is what I ended up with.
|Matt's Cyclones quilt, part 2|
I paper pieced the name using Happy Sew Lucky's Vintage Alphabet pattern. It's a great, crisp alphabet. There is even guidance on how to space different letter combinations. I love that.!
Honestly, I think I ended up liking the back better than the front. So did my friend Chris of Urban Loon Studios who did the longarm quilting for me. (I couldn't get Laura's quilt finished and quilt this one too!) My co-workers at the shop liked the back better as well.
My first guess was correct though. Matt's style is definitely grey and simpler. Every time I've seen him use it since he pulled it out from under the Christmas tree, that's the side he's showing off.
|Christmas Day nap|