I remember shooting photos for my high school yearbook with a film camera, having to keep in mind the film budget, not knowing if the photos I took would actually be any good but also not wanting to waste film by just snapping away willy-nilly. I'm so glad digital cameras came along! I took over 100 pictures of my new quilts last week without any budget worries. That doesn't mean I have 100 interesting or even 100 different shots. As I took pictures with my phone camera, I looked at what I had just snapped, then took a new picture with minor changes I thought might improve the shot.
Being able to take a lot of shots has helped me recognize little things I can do to compose a better photo. I still know squat about exposure but my composition is improving!
On Thursday I was limited to photos I could stage in my backyard. The deck was my first location. It needs a new coat of stain, but for my purposes, I'm just calling it "distressed for added textural interest". Hmmm. Right. Well, I'm going with it anyway.
My first picture of Glacial was this one:
You can see the neighboring houses and firepit in the background. That's rather distracting. I could crop some of that out later, or I could sit down to take the picture and change the angle of the camera to just not have those things in the picture to begin with. I adjusted the drape of the quilt a little as well. It bothered me that the blocks at the top were not quite in line with the railing, but close enough that it looked like that's what I had tried to do but messed up. Picky, I know. But I tweaked it anyway, so it looked deliberately askew.
You can see I pushed a table out of the way. There are a couple of chairs right behind my knees. Of course, you have a lovely peek of the neighbour's house and garage as well. Again, zooming in at just the right angle cuts out those distractions. It's too bad I cut off the corner!
|Rosie inspecting one version of I Spy Lanterns|