You should know it’s time to step away from the sewing room when you spend more time becoming better acquainted with the seam ripper than the sewing machine.
Today I unpicked the free motion quilting I started on Wooffles’ quilt last night. It was worth it and I then spent a comfortable while practicing free motion on this little quilt. It turned into a little sampler of different filler patterns.
By the time I was done, I decided I might as well put the binding on too. I decided to use TLC Stitches’ faux piped binding and I happily cut yellow strips for the “piping” and pulled out leftover purple strips for the binding.
Mistake #1: I cut the piping strip 1/4 inch too narrow and didn’t have any more of the yellow. That’s OK, I just trimmed the purple narrower too and hoped for the best.
Mistake #2: I sewed a right side to a wrong side as I joined the binding strips. Seam ripper!
Mistake #3: I sewed a beautifully straight 74” seam joining the long edges of the binding and the piping. It just happened to be a 3/8” seam. Another time I might have just left it but I remembered my binding strip was already 1/4” narrower than it should be and I didn’t think I could fudge with another 1/4 inch gone. Seam ripper, it’s nice to see you again!
Mistake #4: I reset the seam allowance to a lovely perfect 1/4 inch, and promptly sewed the right face of the binding to the wrong face of the piping strip. At least I noticed at only 30 inches into the seam this time. Still, I had another visit with the seam ripper.
At this point a sane person would have stepped away from the sewing room, but my stubborn streak asserted itself. Happily, it exuded a stronger aura than the seam ripper, which was not needed (much) again.
Here’s the final product. It’s a little more “modern” than my usual work. I don’t think any of those quilting motifs would work terribly well on my more traditional tops but it was a fun exercise. Wooffles and his owner are perfectly happy with it, too, so it was worthwhile!
After I posted pictures the spring blooms quilt I made last spring, I received a lot of requests for a block tutorial. It's been slow c...
You may have seen Temperature Quilt projects popping up on blogs and social media feeds over the last few years. The idea is to represent t...
There was very little happening in the sewing room recently. I started experiencing sewing withdrawal and needed some fun sewing this week....