Pondering yet another border
After deciding on a border for Vintage Sparkle (not actually making the border, just making a decision) I was ready for a change so I switched back to the kaleidoscope quilt. Over the last several days I finished sewing the block halves together for the center, then sewing them into rows.
Today I stopped procrastinating and figured out how to cut and add the black halves of the edge blocks. I taped a template to my ruler, cut the odd shape, held my breath and sewed it to my pieced half units. It worked! I’m not sure now why I was so worried about it.
I added all the blocks to the design wall and ran right into another border decision! Here is what I had planned out in EQ7:
I really liked those grey points on the screen and on paper. I liked that they looked like a pieced border but in fact were just grey corners added to the edge blocks. I still like the look on the screen, but in actual fabric in actual size…not so much. The points just seem to overwhelm the curve illusion on the edges.
I’m glad I pinned a few grey triangles to the blocks in the design wall to audition the effect before actually sewing them on, because it makes it a lot easier to change course. Here are some other options I’ve come up with.
Right now I’m drawn to the last one on the right, but I will let my son choose as it will be on his bed. I guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow before continuing.