Yesterday I felt like I was playing a version of the cooked spaghetti game. You know, the one where you throw a strand of spaghetti at the wall and if it sticks, it’s done. No, I don’t do this with spaghetti anymore though do admit I tried it when I learned to cook, just to see if it was true. Yesterday’s version was to throw fabric at the wall and see what stuck.
I pulled out my blue drunkard’s path units and snowflakes, determined to get this project to the finished top stage. I got all those units up on the wall and finally, after almost a year of struggling with this idea, admitted that some ideas just don’t work. It was a wonderful feeling to just let it go.
(Hmm, letting go and snowflakes. Maybe I should have had the Frozen soundtrack playing in the background.)
Anyway, all those drunkard’s path units were neatly stacked for some future undetermined project, and the contents of the blue fabric bin came out, definitely not neatly stacked. I cut big squares and little squares and stuck them to the wall, and cut more, and removed some and cut again, and put some back. This was not a tidy process.
This is not my usual process to pull a quilt together. I usually have a plan, and I don’t cut into fabric until I know precisely where and how I plan to use it, because I don’t want to waste any. Maybe months of frustration with the now-discarded plan freed me to just cut with abandon, but whatever the cause, it’s what I needed to do for this one.
It doesn’t look like much right now. Sewing up the seams will help, and looking at the picture I can see a few patches I need to move around. However, it is closer to being a finished top than it has ever been. And wait till you see what I have planned for the borders! Those should pull everything together. I hope. It looks good in EQ, but then my whole drunkard’s path idea also looked fabulous in EQ… Sometimes the look and feel of a design in a small scale drawing doesn’t translate well to actual quilt size. I’ll just have to make it and see what happens!
PS: Mom, I’ll post the fall quilt top soon, I promise. I just need to add the top and bottom borders.
After I posted pictures the spring blooms quilt I made last spring, I received a lot of requests for a block tutorial. It's been slow c...
You may have seen Temperature Quilt projects popping up on blogs and social media feeds over the last few years. The idea is to represent t...
January 2017 RSC block I finally caved. For the past several years I have been drooling over all the beautiful blocks and quilts poppin...