Now for a name
What should I call this one? Honestly, the pattern flowed out of my head quite easily but the name is being more reticent. Any ideas?
It finished at about 55”x 69”.
This pattern came together very easily. I was a bit under the weather when I started it and didn’t want to concentrate too hard to keep any star points sharp, so I planned accordingly. The squares I used for the stitch-and-flip points, both the white ones and the small colour ones in the sashing, are large enough that the bottoms of the star points intersect each other well away from the seam of the center block. Is that clear as mud?
I am really pleased with the borders. A few posts ago I whined about having to take the borders off because they just didn’t fit, despite carefully measuring the border length/width across the center of the quilt, and pinning the borders on with a gazillion pins like we’re supposed to, easing evenly as needed. Out of sheer frustration, and under the influence of a bad cold and laryngitis, I tossed caution to the wind and the rule book out the window. I slapped unmeasured lengths of border fabric onto the edges of the quilt, declined to use any pins at all, sewed them on with my walking foot and hacked off excess length at the end. I recklessly added three sets of borders this way.
Yes folks, I ended up with my best ever, perfectly flat borders! So there! Ok, now do I dare try this again on the next quilt? Probably not…
Also border related, I pulled out my trusty pad of graph paper and planned a quilting motif that spanned both the purple and the blue. Since this was on the edge of the quilt I was able to use the walking foot to quilt it. There’s no way I could have free-motioned these straight lines!
I had fun with the thread choice too. I quilted with white thread in the white spaces and yellow sashing stars, and matched various shades of variegated thread to the different colours. I like the effect – a little bit more than just the texture you get when you match thread colour exactly, but not as stark as a stitched line of solid contrasting colour.
If you’ve read this far, I’ll leave you with a photo of this quilt with its sister quilt, Wandering Geese. They were both made from the same 25 fat quarters. These FQs were the ones I was petrified of cutting into in case I thought of a better use for them later. In the end I got two quilts that I positively love!