Voila! 4 placemats and a runner ready for basting and quilting. I cut out the fabric on Monday night, I sewed the diamond in a square blocks and sewed a few of them to each other last night and I finished the rest of the seams in about an hour this morning.
This is a very simple pattern , but I really wanted something that would let the prints hog the limelight. That large leaf print second from the bottom especially could not be cut down much without losing its impact.
When I set these out on the kitchen table to see how they fit, I was frustrated to find they don’t all fit! That’s why you’re getting a photo of them on the floor. I wanted a skinny runner that would fit on the table at the same time as the placemats. I finally clued in that I goofed in the planning stages. I always forget to account for the extra seam allowance all the way around a piece. In this case that adds up to 1.5 extra inches across the table. I have small table so that extra matters.
I had planned to bind these in a medium brown but to deal with the extra inch and a half I think I will finish these by sandwiching with the good side down, sew along the edges then turn everything inside out. No binding. There must be a name for that – if you know it let me know.
Now I’m off to swat a fly. It buzzed around me all day yesterday, and again this morning (of course waiting till I had a hot iron in my hand before buzzing in really close) and it is driving me batty! I think it is slowing down and I might actually get it this time…