On New Year’s Eve before heading out to a friend’s house to see out the old year and ring in the new, my daughter and I pulled fabrics for a project to kick off 2013. Inspired by Katie, who intends to make a serious scrap busting effort this year, we dove into the scrap strips bin that up until now has had fabric put in but not taken out.
We started with this…
…which of course spilled out further as we rummaged.
In the end we pulled these:
Today I trimmed all the strips down to 1.5 inches wide, sewed pairs of them together and cut the strips into units.
Tomorrow I will pull out and cut some neutral fabrics for the background, then I’ll take a deep breath and tackle y-seams again. I haven’t tried any since May 17, 2011. Those turned out well but took me hours. I’ll see if doing a whole stack at once improves my technique and speeds things up a bit. The plan was for this first project of 2013 to provide a quick first finish. I’ll let you know how that goes!
I hope 2013 is off to a good start, quilty and otherwise, for all of you!