It’s finished! Now I am yet again pondering the question of how quilt magazines get all those lovely shots of quilts artfully draped on furniture. It was a little mucky to go outside for pictures so I tried the artful drape approach.
I’m not quite managing that magazine look! It looks very tidy on the sofa. No, I didn’t intentionally match the pillows. Those were already on the sofa, but they do complement the quilt nicely.
I quilted this with, of course, my walking foot. The borders and sashing are all quilted in the ditch. The perimeter of the 100-patches are quilted in the ditch and again 1/4” outside the block. Here’s what I ended up with in the block, after playing with then taking a seam ripper to nesting squares on point and diagonals all in one direction:
I didn’t get a good picture of the quilting across the whole quilt. If you could see the whole top you would see that tipping this quilting design on its side every other block added a bit of movement to the quit top, drawing the eye from one block to the next.
Despite grand thoughts of trying some quilting in the white parts of the sashing to make it look like the red and yellow strips were floating on top of the quilting, I decided that would make the quilting in these spaces much too dense compared to other parts of the quilt and I’d get a puckered, wavy quilt. I didn’t want to quilt too densely in the 100-patches because I wanted the scraps to be the focus.
I have already posted a peek of the border quilting, but here it is again.
By the time I started quilting the last side of the border I had figured out how to quilt it most efficiently so that side was completed fairly quickly. Those first three were not fun though!
I am writing a pattern for Quilter’s Scrapbook and am looking for a few kind souls who might like to test it in exchange for the pattern. If you are interested please email me. Now I am off to wrestle with block diagrams…