I recently was surprised to discover that I have a small but usable fabric stash. Really, I was surprised. I usually buy just what I need for whatever quilt I’m making and there is usually just a bit left over. The bits started adding up, but for a long time I felt they were all just so different that there just weren’t enough pieces that went together to make anything. Was that collection really a stash?
Recently I realized I might have enough pieces, but those pieces were all small and were the last bits of some fabrics I really liked. I didn’t want to use up the last bits because, well, they might be just the perfect piece for some project down the line.
Finally I had that little moment of clarity that whispered “What are you saving the fabric for? Ummm…a quilt???” So I dug through the bin of bright and novelty fabrics that I was saving and made a quilt. Here’s the unquilted top of Baby Steps.
And you know what? It hardly made a dent in the bins of fabric. My variety of yellows and lighter purples is a little lower than it was before. I had a little moment of panic when I realized I was using up the last of that really cute purple dragonfly fabric but I survived and now it is in a quilt which is what I was saving it for anyway. There are still a few quilt tops’ worth of fun fabrics in those bins. And you know there will be new additions to refresh the variety at some point.
Today is a gorgeous day (finally!) so I’m going outside to do yard work, but I believe there is rain in the forecast for the next couple of days so this quilts might get sandwiched and quilted by the middle of the week.
After I posted pictures the spring blooms quilt I made last spring, I received a lot of requests for a block tutorial. It's been slow c...
You may have seen Temperature Quilt projects popping up on blogs and social media feeds over the last few years. The idea is to represent t...
There was very little happening in the sewing room recently. I started experiencing sewing withdrawal and needed some fun sewing this week....