Brace yourself….I am working on my last UFO! Will I actually make it to zero UFOs? To be clear, in this house, once it’s a finished quilt top it moves off the UFO list, even if it takes a while to get quilted!
You might remember my musings back in February about what to do for borders on Vintage Sparkle. At that time I decided to let it sit awhile while I considered my options. Sometime last spring I got as far as piecing these half stars for a pieced border for plan C.
This is currently my only UFO so a couple of weeks ago I pulled it out of its box, determined to piece those borders. Uh oh. I didn’t like it anymore. At all. I just stared at it, completely uninspired.
My kids and hubby just rolled their eyes at me and told me to leave it out for a few days and let it grow on me again. This was very wise of them. (It’s almost as though they know me well!) It did grow on me again after I decided to drop Plan C and go back to Plan A. I still think Plan C would have been a great plan if I had thought of it first and planned the setting accordingly. As it was, adding the half star pieces to the half stars in the sashing looked tacked on. It just wasn’t looking good. Thankfully I figured this out before I cut up all my border fabric for Plan C, so I had enough to cut the wider borders I needed for Plan A.
After Plan A came out on top again, I proceeded to take a whole week to add on 8 border strips, a few at a time. That’s me. I really dislike measuring and pinning borders, and sewing those long seams. If there hadn’t been the zero UFO carrot dangling, I might have procrastinated even longer! However, that’s an awfully tempting carrot, so the last border finally made it onto the quilt tonight.
It’s not a great picture. The ceiling is a little low in my quilting space so my two volunteer quilt holders couldn’t hold this queen sized quilt top up all the way off the floor. Still, you get the idea.
It is not quite off the UFO list. It still needs scrappy prairie points all the way around. The fabric squares for the points have been cut and waiting for a year, so I just need to fold, press and distribute them around the sides. Stay tuned!