I made the first block for this quilt as a sample, just to see what it might look like. I liked the design and I liked the colours and liked the prints so I decided to work it up into a quilt. I drew it in EQ first and played around with colours and layouts, so I’d know exactly what I was planning.
When I made another block, I thought it might look too bland to have the whole background the same, so I headed off to the quilt shop for more yellows. Then I looked at it all again and decided the yellows were awfully bright so I went back to the store for a more subdued yellow to toss into the mix to maybe calm things down.
I just finished making the blocks and now that they are all up on the wall I think I should have had more of that calmer yellow. Or maybe all the same background after all. And I wish I had reversed the fabric for the small and large stars. I considered that choice very carefully at the beginning and thought I had gotten it right, but while it was just right for a single block, I think it would be better the other way around in the whole quilt.
I think this needs a border in the same grey as the sashing, but of course that isn’t what I had originally planned so I don’t have enough of that fabric! There’s another trip to the quilt shop in the near future. I hope there is still some of that grey left!
I’m buying extra this time because I may end up setting this on point for a long twin size quilt. That will require some pieced setting triangles. Again, this is not what I had planned!
I can see what I want it to look like in my mind’s eye, I just need to get it there in reality. There might be a version 2 of this quilt down the road to get it right!