Monday, October 30, 2017

Stars and Stars

You might have noticed I like star blocks. Perhaps it's related to my astronomer husband. In any case, stars have been forming in my sewing room. (Did I mention he studies star-forming regions?)

I did finally remake Jelly Bean Stars, using the leftovers of bright fabrics from my Wandering Geese remake, just as I made the original from leftovers from making the original Wandering Geese.  I tweaked this version a bit.  Here are the two side by side.

Magnitudes (2017) and Jelly Bean Stars (2012)
With a few more years of quilting and designing under my belt, I decided the smaller stars in the sashing needed to shine more.  In the original, honestly, they look more like little X's joining the blocks.  A combination of extending the small star points into the border and making the small stars the same color as the large ones made them pop more. I also decided there was enough to look at here without having a triple border.  Making the borders the same colour as the sashing makes everything else float on the background and gives a more modern feel.

I think this new version has a crisper look than the original.  It's all spiffed up, so it needs a new name. Stellar magnitude refers to the brightness of a star, and I have big (bright) ones and smaller (dimmer) ones on this quilt.  "Magnitudes" seems a fitting name.

Magnitudes is now quilted and has a pretty blue binding but I haven't had time and pretty weather together at the same time to take nice pictures yet.  I wanted this quilt finished sooner than later and had too much on my plate already, so I sent it to Liz Meimann of A Quilted Memory for all-over longarm quilting.  Here's a peek until I can get proper glamour shots.


And a peek at the back too.  I found the perfect backing, but it was 60" wide and needed 66".  I really didn't want to buy a whole other length just for that 6", so I pieced a strip from scraps and inserted it into the back to make up the required width.





I love the way the back turned out, but honestly, "just slapping fabric together" for those improv blocks took me longer than planned blocks would have!  I really wanted to use up little scraps from the front though, so improv it was.  

I will be re-writing the pattern to reflect my design tweaks and to include additional sizes, and re-releasing it as Magnitudes. I just need to write up a different star quilt pattern first so it can go out to testers.  Then, and only then can I play with my Anne of Green Gables fabrics!

17 comments:

  1. I love your Starry quilt. I agree with all your points about it: a wonderful change into your new version. Those white stars really twinkle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have always liked the original, but you did make those smaller stars pop in the remake. It is very bright and happy--and I love the improv piecing on the back, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those came out great! Love the bright stars in the cornerstones of Magnitudes. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing what a few tweaks to a design can produce. I really like the new look. The grey background is great with the colors. Neat backing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really really like the new version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The original quilt was very nice but the 'new and improved' does look amazing. Both quilts look so cheerful!

    I love the backing with your pieced blocks - so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the mods that you made to your original pattern. LOVE the back art!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always know just exactly what to do to make all your quilts bright and beautiful, on both sides! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you tweaked the pattern! The new version is amazing, great backing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. both quilts are lovely and of course the back too. I rarely have the right amount of fabric for the backing. Like you, I usually come up 6-12" shy of having the right amount. You did a good job on your backing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great Joanne, and I like the name. Totally hear ya on the 'just slapping blocks together'...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right, the new version does have a more modern feel and the smaller stars are much more prominent! I love the improv blocks on the back, too, nestled into the perfect backing fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joanne, your new quilt really looks great. It's true that it has a more modern look. I thing that it was a great idea to make the border stars float on the border like that. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That backing is perfect! ! ! I love all the bright colors in those stars!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did great making all the stars stand out. It looks fantastic. I love the pieced backing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work! I like stars, too, especially yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both quilts are beautiful! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I enjoy reading all comments and I aim to reply by email, though yahoo mail and no-reply settings can sometimes get in the way. If your Google account is set to "no-reply" I have no way to contact you, but know that your comments make my day just the same!