(I'm not sure how to embed video here, but if you want to see what I mean, you can see the video on Facebook here.)
We did manage to get a few pretty photos by ducking into the woods.
|I love how the quilt is just floating here! I'm surprised my husband's feet aren't showing, but I'll take it!|
We gave up on the shot I wanted, of prairie and sky in the background. Laying it down on the ground on the prairie path was the closest we could get.
My husband indulged me, stepped off a path (after I checked for poison ivy), tripped on some vines and set up this quilt on a tree shot, hanging it off a large knot like a towel on towel hook.
This quilt was quilted entirely with my walking foot, using black Aurifil thread to stitch in the ditch around every patch and diagonal lines one inch apart in the background. I toyed with stitching triangles of some sort in the piano key border, but realized as I was marking them that they would be too busy. I opted for two sets of straight lines running perpendicular to the piano keys. These lines, and a few extra ones in the large flying geese, are stitched with a variegated Sulky Blendables thread that picks up all the colors and seems to add a soft glow. I couldn't get that to show up in my picture, but it worked really well.
This quilt will replace the original on the cover of the pattern. I just need to take a few possible covers to the printer's and see which photo looks best in print. The colors on my computer monitor and the printed page seldom agree!
In the meantime, I'm using up scraps from this quilt to make an updated version of Jelly Bean Stars in Moda Grunge as well. Pictures of that will follow eventually, but for now I'll share one more picture from yesterday, just because I have about 50 of them to choose from (gotta love digital photography)!