For the past few days I’ve been pondering what to make with my lovely fat-quarter bundles of brights. I have quilting magazines spread all over my floor, opened at assorted tempting patterns. The quilt made up of 25 9-inch lone star blocks looked tempting, though I was thinking of a more modest 5-block table runner. My sticking point is that the block requires inset seams and they intimidate me.
Today I decided to plunge in and try one. I didn’t cut into my pretty new fabrics though, just in case. I dipped into the blue scraps and 3 hours later I had this:
It looks much better than my first and only previous attempt at y-seams 10 years ago. That attempt was a wrinkly, wont-lie-flat-under-a-steam-roller mess. More practice should take care of some of the ripples that you can’t see in the picture.
So am I ready to make enough of these to make at least a runner? Hmm. Eventually. It would qualify as practice. However, at three hours a block (though I’m sure each subsequent block will come together a little faster) it doesn’t fit the bill for the quick satisfaction I’m looking for right now. Maybe later.
I’m heading back to all the magazines strewn on my floor. I’ll settle on something soon. In the meantime, I can at least say that I am no longer scared of set-in seams!
You may have seen Temperature Quilt projects popping up on blogs and social media feeds over the last few years. The idea is to represent t...
After I posted pictures the spring blooms quilt I made last spring, I received a lot of requests for a block tutorial. It's been slow c...
January 2017 RSC block I finally caved. For the past several years I have been drooling over all the beautiful blocks and quilts poppin...