This is what happens when there are two male types racing virtual cars in the other half of the room where I quilt. (Yes it was all their fault. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! This unit can’t possibly be one I sewed before they came down!)
Well, the problem was more obvious when this star was set in with all the rest, which did have all the strings carefully oriented! Of course I didn’t notice until the bit with the offending triangle was well and truly incorporated into the piece via a few other seams as well.
All fixed now!
I decided on a modern setting for these stars instead of filling the quilt with them in a more traditional layout. They are rather loud and I thought some white space to let the eye rest would be a good idea. That turned out to be a good choice from another perspective. By the time I made the 10 stars I need for the setting I chose, the variety in my string bin was severely depleted. I don’t think I could have eked out too many more units. The bin is down to mostly red, blue and black.
Here is where things stand tonight.
There are still some horizontal seams needed to connect the rows containing the top and bottom star points to the centers of the stars. Before I do that I need to cut and add white strips to both sides of all the rows to fill out the quilt’s sides. If you squint you can see I have started that in the lower right part.
I’m planning to do a lot of quilting in the white parts, then bind with a scrappy binding…unless of course I change my mind between now and binding time and choose a single fabric… Can you tell I’m making this one up as I go along?
Making it up as you go, or not, it looks great to me! I think the white will be a great addition! ---"Love"ReplyDelete
You are making great progress on that quilt! At least you caught the boo boo before quilting it! That will be a very neat quilt.ReplyDelete
Oh wow! That looks fabulous! Another one to add to my ever growing bucket list.ReplyDelete
Oh oh oh oh! I have a bin of scraps you can have to make more stars! Ha ha ha, just kidding. (About giving them to you. I do have a bin of scraps.) The stars look great and I understand about how the simplest things can be distracting. I blame the cats a lot at my house...ReplyDelete
Beautiful work and we all need to spend a little time with our seam rippers......or at least I know I do :)ReplyDelete
Oh dear! At least you noticed it now and not when it would be far too late to amend. Gosh they look good! The white in between is a good choice. It's going to be a fantastic quilt - and - you have used up all your strings.ReplyDelete
Fantastic! Happily you noticed the oops before everything was done.ReplyDelete
It looks much better after the little fixit job :-) You did well to have just one mishap by the sounds of it!ReplyDelete