|Star Fall, RSC Butterfly, Wandering Geese, Sparkling Trail, Samoyed Baby|
- Quilt Cyclone baby quilt
Quilt new Wandering Geese
- Add final border to and quilt new Starlight Wishes
- Quilt both mini Sparkling Trail quilts:
1930s version, black and red version Make a new RSC butterfly or two Finish hand stitching binding on Samoyed baby quilt Start brand new Lemoyne Star quilt (or two - I have fabric options to work out!)
- Start Anne of Green Gable quilts (two of them, one for me, one for daughter)
- Start a snowflake quilt - I've been thinking of all 26, and maybe a few new ones, all together in a single quilt...
I'll have a picture or two of the new Wandering Geese soon. We're taking it for a walk in the park for glamour shots (or my attempt at them) tomorrow. I wrote posts about the butterfly, Sparkling Trail and Samoyed earlier this month.
I made good progress on Star Fall, a new design.
|Star Fall in Tula Pink|
It still need background strips on either side, then I need to decide: border or no borders? My original idea was to skip borders and just bind in scrappy print leftovers. Now I'm not sure. It will have to simmer a little bit.
In the meantime, I've been working on figuring out the details of making these Lemoyne Stars without the Rapid Fire Lemoyne Star ruler. As much as I loved using Deb Tucker's ruler to make the stars and the triangles, I fear a pattern requiring two specialty rulers might be challenging to sell. I plan to include instructions for using the rulers, but also instructions without.
Today I worked on trimming details.
I had previously printed out templates from EQ7 to measure the pieces. I then worked out how to measure to rotary cut the pieces without the templates. What I needed next was help aligning the pieces, so I cut out paper pieces, drew in 1/4" seam allowances all around, and put pins through the seam intersections, matching the intersections of two pieces the way they would be when sewn. With the pins holding those matched points together, I could mark where one piece extended past the other piece. That's the trim line for that piece.
I trimmed the paper as marked, then pulled out my handy dandy Marti Michell corner trimmer to see if it would trim the same way.
I got impatient to see if all my figuring worked and neglected to take progress pictures. Here's the finished test star block though.
|Blue Lemoyne Star Block|
I'm going to try to remake the quilt in different fabrics using these measurements, without the specialty ruler. If that works, I'll move on to writing up the pattern both ways. Or maybe three ways. Paper piecing would be easy and accurate, so I could make it that way too. I do hear a lot of people say they won't touch paper piecing though and I don't want to limit the pattern's appeal....Clearly, I have a lot of thinking still to do!
While I think, I'll cut fabric for method two. Here's what I spent a couple of hours choosing for it at the quilt shop a few weeks ago.
Hmm. That's not a great picture. There's a pop of yellow in the second fabric, and the last fabric, which will be background, is deeper and richer that it appears in the photo. I guess I need to step away from the computer and go cut the fabric in all its glorious batik color so I can put it all in a top to show it off properly!