Round Robin Update
In July I received the last quilt I needed to add a border to for my guild's Round Robin challenge. There are four of us in my group, and we have been passing the quilts around, everyone adding a border to each quilt in turn. I shared my contributions to two quilts in this post last May.
Here is Jen's quilt as it was when it was passed to me. Center star by Jen, first border by Traci, and second border by Pam.
Jen also included lots of fabrics in case we didn't have anything in our stashes to work with her colours. I used some of those to repeat the fabric from her star points, and I found a red that echoed the red in the other two borders. I almost headed to the quilt shop for a creamy solid to match what Pam used, then noticed that Jen had used scrappy neutral prints in her origimal background, so I dug into my neutral scraps to see what I could use up to pull that element back in. The prints don't show up very well on my photo.
This was actually plan C. I considered making the whole border out stars, sprinking in a few in accent colors. However, they were time consuming and I figured Jen would probably appreciate getting her quilt back sometime before next year. I forget what plan B was...
The points in the gold border were inspired by elements of the border Jen added to my quilt.
The second to last border and the corners added to the previous border's cornerstone are hers. Traci added the last border, and Pam made all those flying geese and puss in the corner cornerstones. It is miles away from what I envisioned when I looked at my center medallion, but it's been great fun to see what direction other quilters' creative flights took it. I hope they enjoyed the process too.
Though I have it back in my possession, I won't have time to work on finishing my round robin quilt for a while. When I do, I plan to add another border to make it just a little larger. I may add red to frame it all. As my partners demonstrated, there are so many possibilities!