This was not last week's attempt! Last week's block turned out like this:
I think this looks like a hot mess. I love this batik print, but it didn't work here at all! One problem was that the dark background in the print and spots where the blue is deeper blend into my block background too much. Another is that the scale of the print is too large for the pieces so the pretty gets cut up and lost, and I'm left with, well, this.
This was just too depressing to deal with last week. What to do? Start a new project, of course! I worked on that the rest of the week and pieced a backing for it today. It's all in bright, pretty leftovers from my recently finished Wandering Geese quilt, and the pieces and colours all played together just as they were supposed to. I'll share more about that one later this week. Anyway, working on that cheered me up considerably, so I had the courage to pull out the Lemoyne Stars again.
I bought a few brighter, smaller scale batiks to substitute for some of my previously selected batiks. I still love the first selection, but they are going to have to find another project to play in (oh, the hardship!). Tonight I made the lighter block above, and I think I can keep going on that track. First I'll need to press my new selections that got forgotten in the dryer last night.
I think I will leave that for tomorrow evening. Right now, as the weather had cooled off, I feel like an evening with a quilt pooled in my lap while I hand quilt it sounds appealing. I have made woefully little progress quilting my daughter's Chic Country so I had better get to it while the mood strikes!